Eating healthy changes over the years. As you grow older, your body changes and needs different nutritional support. Cooking isn't always an option for senior citizens. It may be if the person is physically able to, but if not, it can be hard. Ordering takeaway on a daily basis isn't much of an option either.
Senior citizens can benefit massively from home-cooked meal delivery services or other meal services. The food will no doubt have to be different from the food a chef prepares for people of other age groups. Meeting their special dietary needs and nutritional needs can be a bit hard.
Importance of cooking for senior citizens
We all care for our loved ones and want the best for them. Every chef knows how painstaking meal preparation can be. Right from meal planning, grocery shopping to the actual cooking, and then cleaning up, it is not always an easy task. Delivered meals will benefit older adults massively.
Maintaining a healthy diet is very important at any age, and is even more important as you grow older. Senior meals are more than just healthy meals. They need to meet the specific dietary needs and nutritional needs. Certain foods can even aggravate existing health issues they may be facing.
Home delivery of nutritious meals will also save older adults the hassle of travelling to the grocery store or a restaurant. Those with mobility issues will no doubt find this to be a great service.
Healthy meals for senior citizens
Meal options for senior citizens aren't as rare as you think they may be. There are a wide variety of recipes and meal options to provide healthy nutrition for senior citizens. Many recipes just need a bit of customization to increase their nutritional value and fit a particular diet plan.
Whether you are running a meals on wheels business, have a meal delivery service, work in a senior centre or simply provide home care as a medical guardian, these meal ideas will help you a lot.
- Olive oil: Olive oil or extra virgin olive oil is very rich in proteins and is a great substitute for regular oil. You can sauté vegetables or cook chicken on medium heat with olive oil. It is also a very healthy fat and will help put on a bit of healthy weight.
- Oatmeal: Oats are whole grains and are very good sources of protein and is a great meal. Being whole grains they are also rich in fibre and complex carbohydrates which is great for the digestive system.
- Brown rice: Brown rice is great for people of any age. Brown rice is a whole grain and will give older adults a lot of energy through the day which is an important part of healthy eating.
- Veggies: A variety of fresh vegetables and leafy greens should be part of their daily meals. Kale, spinach, broccoli, carrots, avocados, etc will provide a full balance to their daily meals.
- Milk and yogurt: Non-fat milk and yogurt are great sources of vitamin B and vitamin D as well as calcium. All of which is crucial for bone health. Almond milk and peanut butter are excellent options as well. Make sure the sugar content in the products is kept to a minimum as sugar tends to lead to high blood pressure.
It is rewarding
Caring for the elderly can be hard. Anyone who has worked in a senior centre or has been a medical guardian for a senior parent will tell you the same. However, it is incredibly rewarding and is a great thing.
Providing home care or personal care in a nursing home isn't something everyone can do. Cooking homemade healthy meals for senior citizens will help them massively with health issues that they face a lot during the twilight of their lives. Try your best and do your bit to help out!
If you're a chef looking to provide meals for senior citizens, register as a chef here or contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or +919900009366
If you're looking for meals for senior citizens, create a request here