Here’s the recipe for authentic Ambur biryani, shared by a very talented chef – Aarthi Satheesh.
Dish: Ambur Chicken Biryani
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 1 Hour
Serves : 5 to 6
Chicken – 500 gram bone in
Oil – 1/2 cup
Cinnamon / Pattai – 1 large stick
Cardamom Pods / Yelakai – 10
Cloves / Krambu – 10
Curd / Yogurt – 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon
Onions – 2 large sliced thinly (reserve a handful of onions)
Garlic Paste – 2 tablespoon
Coriander Leaves – a small handful chopped finely
Mint Leaves – a small handful chopped finely
Ginger Paste – 2 tablespoon
Tomatoes – 2 large sliced thinly
Dry Red Chillies – 7 to 8
Kashmiri Red Chillies – 10
To Cook Rice:
Seeraga Samba Rice – 500 grams
Salt to taste
Water lots of it to cook rice
- Wash Seeraga samba rice very well. Set aside. Soak both the dry red chillies in hot water for 5 mins. Drain and make it into a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Now heat oil in a kadai. Add in cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and fry for a min.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of curd and saute for 30 sec.
- Add in a handful of onions and saute till golden.
- Add in garlic paste and saute for 2 mins.
- Add in coriander leaves and mint leaves. Saute for a min.
- Add in ginger paste and saute for 2 mins.
- Now add in the chicken and toss well on high heat for 5 to 7 mins till it is golden.
- Add in onions and tomatoes. Saute for 3 to 4 mins. They will cook down and leach out some water.
- Now add in the dry red chilli paste and mix well.
- Add in 1/2 cup of curd and salt. Mix well. Cover the pot and cook on low heat for 10 mins.
- In the mean time, bring lots of water to boil. Add in salt to it and when it boils add in rice. Mix well. Cook it for 7 to 8 mins. When you taste it the rice should have a bite in it. Once it is 80 percent cooked, drain it.
- Now the chicken will be cooked.. Add rice to a large pot, add in curry and mix well.
- Cover with a tight lid and place the whole thing over a tawa and cook on low heat for 10 to 12 mins.
- Turn off the heat and leave it for 15 mins.
- Now open the lid and fluff the rice.
- Serve with Raita.
So go ahead and try out this recipe and let us know how it like it!