Why settle for artificial, unhealthy ketchups when you can make healthy tomato sauce at home so easily?
You can use this sauce as a condiment as well as a replacement for pizza/ pasta sauce and a filling for tasty sandwiches. Try it out and replace unhealthy preservatives laden ketchups with this healthy homemade alternative.
Cooking time: 1 hour
Yields: 300-400 gms
Source: Urban Mumma
- Tomato – 1 kg
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp.
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- One clove, cardamom and one stick of cinnamon
- Onion – 1
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- Vinegar – 2tbsp (I used Apple Cider)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a thick bottomed pan add oil, chopped onion, garlic, ginger, spices and cumin and heat for 2-3 minutes
- Add halved tomatoes and cover and cook until soft
- Add sugar (around 2 tbsp), salt and pepper
- Remove from heat once the tomatoes are soft and the sauce is not dried up
- Remove the cinnamon stick, cool and pulse in a mixer-grinder and strain
- Heat the sauce with vinegar, adjust the seasoning as per taste and add the lemon juice as per taste
- Cool and transfer to sterilized jars
- This sauce remains good upto three months. Once opened, refrigerate and use.
So go ahead and try this recipe out and let us know how it panned out for you and your family.
Click here to read about why & how this recipe was invented.